JULY 4 HOLIDAYS: July 4 traffic forecast
DENVER (KDVR) – The 4th of July weekend is upon us, and so is the heavy traffic that comes with it.
This year’s holiday traffic is expected to be higher than last year, due to relaxed COVID-19 restrictions. This is why CDOT has a few reminders for motorists traveling for July 4th, particularly on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon.
Those driving on I-70 should expect slow speeds, wet roads, and poor visibility in Glenwood Canyon. Since vehicle crashes are common along the corridor, drivers should be weary of delays. Rain on I-70 could cause security closures. Updates on I-70 west of Denver are available at GoI-70.
“It is essential that motorists are prepared before exiting. Please check the latest weather and road reports, make sure you have enough food and water, and that your vehicle is in good driving condition, ”said Shoshana Lew, CEO of CDOT.
Here are the CDOT’s advice for a safe trip:
- stay alert. Allow plenty of time to stop along the way to stretch, grab something to eat and drink, return calls or texts, and change drivers if you feel tired or drowsy.
2. Avoid distracted driving. Concentrate on driving. Avoid using cell phones, texting, eating, and using in-car technologies.
3. DO NOT drive impaired. Increased DUI application begins today through July 5.
4. Watch for more pedestrians and bicycles. Hot weather means more people are walking or cycling outside. Slow down and watch out for crosswalks and along roads.
5. Share the road with motorcycles. Motorcycles can get in and out of your blind spots quickly due to their speed and size. Always take a second look at motorcycles.
6. Obey all posted speed limits. If necessary, drive more slowly, depending on weather or traffic conditions.
7. Maintain the correct tire air pressure. Warmer weather can cause the tires to over-inflate.
8. Turn on your lights. Especially at dawn and dusk. Make it easier for other drivers to see you.
9. Large vehicles tend to drive at slower speeds. Be prepared to slow down, stay out of their blind spots, pay close attention to the turn signals and give them more room to maneuver.
Motorists can find current road conditions and delays on COtravel. Being aware of the latest weather forecast can also help drivers avoid dangerous conditions and delays.
Suggest a correction