NYE family fireworks in Sydney canceled | Bendigo Advertiser

0

what’s new

The family New Years Eve fireworks display in Sydney has been canceled for the second year in a row, despite plans to reopen the city in the coming weeks. The city’s midnight display will continue, with discussions on potential crowd limits continuing. A spokeswoman for the city of Sydney confirmed on Tuesday evening that the previous fireworks display had been canceled again, to ensure the celebrations meet public health orders in the event of a pandemic. “Fireworks always generate very large crowds and the two separate displays result in a large number of people crossing paths leaving for one show and arriving for the next,” she said in a statement. “In the current climate, limiting this mix of crowds will ensure that the event can be managed in the safest manner against COVID for all attendees and staff.” We are advised that the delta virus is likely to circulate still in the community for the end of the year to some extent, so our plans will allow the event to remain resilient in the face of changing health conditions and public health orders. with 54% of state residents now fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The state is likely to reach the milestone of 70% double vaccination which will allow more freedoms during the first half of October. Treasurer Dominic Perrottet told Nine Newspapers the decision to “New Years Eve is 100 days away, and it would seem a bit pre-emptive to end an iconic event enjoyed by so many people,” he said. “While safety has to be a priority this is something worth taking a close look at to see what the options are.” COVID-19 has cast a shadow over all of our lives and I hope there is a way to end the year with a bang and a spark rather than a whimper. ”Associated Australian Press

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/silverstone-feed-data/479ef602-8abe-40a3-bfdd-a0aadd89a9ff.jpg/r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.